Friday, September 13, 2013

ONLINE OR OFFLINE PASSWORD MANAGEMENT?

I recently came across this article on Tech Republic regarding online password managers. The long and short: the jury is still out on just how safe it is to store your passwords in the "cloud". For what it's worth, I disfavor this approach and store my passwords on my phone in an encrypted file. To get at all of my passwords, someone would have to have access to my phone. In this way, I control the access point. With the online password managers, you are letting someone else control the entry point.

For this reason, I prefer Password Keeper, which stores the files locally with the option of cloud synchronization through Google Drive. I know I had previously said that I was ok giving up a good deal of my privacy to Google, but there are some things I'm not ready to hand over so easily to a third party. The password to my bank accounts is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment