Friday, March 21, 2014

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DON'T USE THE SPACE BAR FOR INDENTING TEXT

In one of my earlier posts, I explained why you shouldn't use the tab key to indent text but should simply adjust the left margin. I should have added that you shouldn't use the space bar either.

Recently, I received a proposed policy for review that looks like the below image when you print it:



Obviously, I change the characters to make it impossible to read for this. Wen I opened it to make some edits, this is what I found:


Every one of those dots is a press of the space bar. Formatting your document this way will make editing it later, even just changing one word, maddening. Especially if you're not editing it with special characters revealed.

I'm begging you, please learn how to set the margins instead of using the tab key or the space bar. It isn't just for my sake, it's for your own as well. Your typing life will be made so much easier if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment